Fair Play Award
In IPL, the Fair Play award is presented every year to a team out of the eight participating teams, who set the best record of fair play. The award is given at the end of an IPL season. It was introduced during the inauguration of IPL, which was on 25th April 2008. This award promotes and supports fair play in cricket. The teams are motivated to play with their best behavior in the field.
There are four criteria for deciding which team will be given this award. To win this award, the team must obtain the most points out of 10, which are decided in the following ways
- The first requirement is that the team must comply with the 'spirit of the game'. The two umpires present on the field along with the third umpire decide amongst themselves how many points will be given to the team after each match. The umpires' opinion makes up for four points out of the total 10.
- The other three requirements are for two points each, respect towards the teams they play against, respect towards the laws of cricket, and finally, respect towards the umpires.
IPL Fair Play Award
The team that manages to meet the above requirements is presented with the Fair Play award.
There have been five teams as the winners of the IPL Fair Play award so far
- IPL team Chennai Super Kings have won the award six times, in the years 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015. In 2011, not only did they become the first defending champions to win again but also retained their Fair Play title. Chennai Super Kings is the only team in IPL to receive the award six times in the entire League.
- The team to win the Fair Play award the second time around was one of the eight IPL teams, Kings XI Punjab in 2009. That was their maiden Fair Play title.
- In 2012, Rajasthan Royals were given the Fair Play award for getting the most points out of the eight participating teams in IPL.
- IPL team Sunrisers Hyderabad won the award twice. They received it in the year 2016 and again, in the year in 2019.
- In 2017, the now-defunct IPL team Gujarat Lions were presented with the Fair Play award at the end of the tournament.
- In 2018 & 2020, Mumbai Indians met all the requirements of the Fair Play criteria and managed to get the most points and as a result, were presented with the IPL Fair Play award.
The current team to win the IPL Fair Play award is Mumbai Indians. They have won this award twice in the IPL. Mumbai Indians have taken part in IPL since its inception in 2008. The team consists of members who have won numerous IPL awards. They won the IPL tournament five times in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019 & 2020.
Expanding the Fair Play award IPL 2019 table, the following is the result of the IPL Fair Play award given in 2019, in which the teams are listed in order of how they fared
- Sunrisers Hyderabad topped the 2019 IPL Fair Play table. They topped the table in 2016, as well. Looking at their previous standings with the available data, which were, 2nd position in 2018, 7th in 2017, 8th in 2016, 5th in 2015, 6th in 2014, and 7th in 2013, we can see that their points have increased on the table since 2016.
- Kolkata Knight Riders were in the second position in 2019. They haven't won a Fair Play award so far. But looking at their previous standings on the table based on the data available, which were, 4th position in 2018, 5th in 2017, 2nd in 2016, 2nd in 2015, 4th in 2014, 8th in 2013, and 8th in 2012, we can see that they have been playing fair since their initial period in IPL.
- Rajasthan Royals were placed in the 3rd position on the table in 2019. They won the award in 2012. They have previously been placed on the 7th position in 2018, 4th in 2017, 6th in 2015, 5th in 2014, 3rd in 2013 on the table, based on the data available.
- Delhi Capitals were placed 4th in 2019. They have never won the Fair Play award. Their previous standings in the table with the available data were, 8th position in 2018, 2nd in 2017, 3rd in 2016, 4h in 2015, 3d in 2014, 9th in 2013, and 4th in 2012.
- In 2019, Kings XI Punjab was placed on the 5th position due to the points they earned out of 10. They won the Fair Play title in 2009. Looking at their previous standings on the Fair Play tables with the available data, which were 5th position in 2018, 3rd in 2017, 6th in 2016, 3rd in 2015, 2nd in 2014, 5th in 2013, 2nd in 2012, we can see that they have always remained on the upper half of the table.
- Chennai Super Kings, surprisingly the six-time winner of the IPL Fair Play Award, were placed on the 6th position this time around.
- IPL team Royal Challengers Bangalore were positioned at the lower end of the table. RCB has never received the Fair Play award. Looking at their previous standings with the available data, which were, 6th position in 2018, 8th in 2017, 7th in 2016, 7th in 2015, 7th in 2014, 4th in 2013, 7th in 2012, we can see that they have dominated the lower half of Fair Play table continuously.
- In 2019, Rohit Sharma led Mumbai Indians were on the bottom of the point table. They won the Fair Play award in 2018 and to see them be positioned so low on the table was shocking. But looking at their previous standings with the available data, which were, 6th position in 2017, 5th in 2016, 8th in 2015, 8th in 2014, 6th in 2013, and 9th in 2012; we can see that they have constantly been around this position.
Fans have already started to anticipate and predict that Chennai Super Kings or Sunrisers Hyderabad can score points to bag the Fair Play award IPL 2021.